Pores are more visible and larger in oily skin rather in dry skin. Some areas of your face may be oilier and show more visible pores than others. Treating enlarged pores is as tough to eliminate as blackheads. Experimenting with products may worsen the situation. Going for natural home remedies may take time to fix the problem but it will definitely heal without causing side effects.
Reason behind Enlarged Pores
The excess oil from the skin oil gland mixes with other substance in the pore to form a clog. This clog makes it difficult for the oil to flow smoothly, causing the pore to enlarge itself.
Even though the pore enlarges for oil to move freely, still some amount of oil gets stuck behind especially around the nose area. This oil stuck with dead skin when exposed to air gives birth to Blackheads making it more visible and look even larger.
Open and enlarged pores worsen with age as the skin starts losing its elasticity. Stress and poor skin care adds more to it. Consistently taking measures can help minimize enlarged pores and blackheads.
Remedies to Reduce Enlarged Pores
Quickly shrinking pores before applying makeup has never been easy then just rubbing an ice all over your face. Due to its skin tightening effect ice helps in shrinking pores and stimulate circulation promoting healthier skin.
Just wrap few cubes of ice in a cotton cloth so that it’s easier to hold and rub on your face for 30 seconds daily.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
ACV natural properties works as an astringent and skin-toner. It helps in skin tightening, reduces enlarged pores and restores the skin’s pH balance. Antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties present in ACV treats acne breakouts.
1 tbsp ACV
1 tbsp Water
- Mix water and ACV in a small bowl
- Dab a cotton ball in this mixture and apply over your face
- Let it rest for 3-5 minutes and later rinse off using cool water
- Follow up with light moisturizer
Egg whites serves great in shrinking pores, tighten & tone skin and also helps in getting rid of excess oil from the skin.
- Rinse your face and pat dry
- Apply a thin layer of egg white separating the yolk
- Let it dry and apply second layer of egg white over the first one
- Repeat the process till you have 3-5 layers.(Let it dry completely before applying the next layer)
- Peel the mask once all the layers are dry
- Wash of the leftovers with fresh water
Repeat this process 1-2 times a week for best result.
4. Sugary Scrub
1 cup of sugar (brown or white)
4 tablespoons of olive oil
Airtight glass container
- Stir olive oil and sugar continuously till its mixed well
- Pour it in a airtight glass container and store in a cool dark place.(don’t store over a month)
- Take one spoon out in a cup, stir well and apply over your clean and wet face using finger tips
- Massage in circular motion for 3-4 minutes
- Rinse off with fresh water and pat dry
- Follow with your usual light moisturizer
Repeat 2-3 times in a week.
5. Baking Soda
A gentle exfoliating agent, baking soda not only helps in removing excess oil, dirt and debris from the skin but also helps in balancing the pH level of the skin. An antibacterial and anti-inflammatory property of baking soda reduces acne and pimple.
2 tbsp baking soda
3 tbsp lukewarm water
- Mix both and apply the mixture on your skin
- Massage in circular motion for 1-2 minute
- Rinse off with cool water
- Repeat this process 2 times a week
6. Multani Mitti (Fuller’s Earth)
Multani mitti is an excellent product to absorb excess oil, exfoliate the skin, reduce scars & blemishes and cure sun damaged skin.
- Mix Multani mitti and rose water forming a paste
- Apply the paste on your skin and let it dry for 20 minutes
- Scrub off the pack using cool water
For best result use this mask once a week.
Citric acid present in lemon helps in exfoliating your skin and minimize enlarged open pores. Its natural bleaching agent reduces dark spots and restores an even tone.
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp honey or tomato juice
- Mix well and apply on your face
- Leave it for 20 minutes and later rinse off with water
Repeat daily for 1 month to see the difference.
Natural astringent property of cucumber not only helps in shrinking pores but also improves your skin texture adding a fresh glow.
- Simply grate one cucumber and extract its juice
- Soak a cotton ball in it and apply the juice on your skin
- Let it rest for 15-20 minutes
- Rinse off with cool water
You can also add rose water or lemon to the cucumber juice for best result.
The lactic acid present in yogurt helps in eliminating excess oil, dirt and dead skin promoting reduction in pores.
- Apply a thin layer of yogurt on the affected area and let it sit dry for 10 minutes
- Rinse off with cool water
- Repeat this process for 2 times daily for a month
- In case of excessive oily skin add 2 aspirin tablets (crushed to fine powder) and 1 egg white with yogurt
- Apply a thin layer of the mixture on the affected area and let it sit dry for 10 minutes
- Rinse off with cool water and repeat 1-2 times a week.
10. Clean and Dry
Washing your face and keeping it clean and dry is a hygienic way to stay out of any skin issue. It also stops pores from holding extra oil or other build ups.
11. Cosmetic Products
- Zinc and magnesium helps restore skin’s oil balance and clean pores. Products with soothing ingredients such as rosemary and lavender help in easing irritation and prevent pores from stretching out.
- Products that say “noncomedogenic” on the label won’t clog your pores.
- If salicylic acid is listed as an ingredient, it may help your skin’s texture and unclog pores because it exfoliates your skin.
- Retinol or prescription-strength retinoids also help unclog pores and keep them looking smaller.
Use products loaded with antioxidants and cell-communicating ingredients to help heal skin and reduce wrinkles. Giving skin the important ingredients it needs to look and be healthy is critical, but the trick for those with blackheads and large pores is to use only products with a gel, liquid, or very thin serum texture. A well-formulated toner may be all you need twice a day to take care of this need.
12. Eat Right
High in fat and unhealthy oils can inflame your skin resulting in clogged pores. Healthy skin needs healthy diet. Eat healthy, light and easy to digest foods like cooked/steamed vegetables, zucchini, squash, pumpkin, salad, fruits, corn, flour, oatmeal etc
13. Remove Make-up
Don’t let make-up sit on your skin for too long, remove it as soon as you are back from the party. Leaving makeup overnight results in clogged pores.
14. Medical Help
In case of excessive oily skin where none of the above suggestion helps, meet a dermatologist. As depending on your age, health and skin type, the doctor can recommend the right prescription to reduce the hormone level that creates the excess oil, which is the root of the problem.
- Do not use oily products causing your oil glands to produce more oil
- Do not use products that clog pores
- Avoid products with drying, irritating ingredients as it stimulate more oil production directly in the pores
- Avoid bar soaps